Saturday, March 22, 2008

Donna Enroute to Plymouth Rock - 1970

Donna Enroute to Plymouth Rock - 1970

Donna is my Godmother's daughter. This is a picture I took in the back seat of the car enroute to visiting Plymouth Rock and Plymouth Plantations in the summer of 1970. I remember having great fun with my effervescent new friend who shared the same interest as myself in the popular music of the period. If you look closely in this series of photos, you'll see me wearing a peace medallion and frequently giving the peace sign. I'm so embarrassed, but youth is frequently filled with pretensions and mine was overflowing.

My Godmother Jeanne is/was my mother's lifelong best friend. Across this site, you will see (or already have seen) many photographs of my mother Doralice and Jeanne together. You'll see them in their Catholic girl schooldays and the vacations in Old Orchard Beach, Maine. You'll see them at the mill, the cafes, and the neighborhoods in their hometown Woonsocket, Rhode Island. They spent their motherhood years living apart from each other on separate coasts, but we visited sometimes, certainly not often enough. Through letters they shared the experience of watching their children become adults. Jeanne and her husband Fred adjusted their Hawaii vacation to attend my wedding. I danced with my godmother at my wedding. How sentimental of me. My parents visited them in Cumberland for a final time. I have the pictures. From their schooldays to their senior years, you'll always see them together smiling and having fun. These two French Canadian gals were the archetypical best friends.

Plymouth Rock - wiki

Visit Plymouth, Massachusetts

No comments: