Saturday, February 2, 2008

Woonsocket & the Blackstone River - 1985

Woonsocket and the Blackstone River - 1985

RE: Woonsocket, Rhode Island - Summer 1985 - Original Post 1/29/08

I published this picture in the first post in this series along with an introduction to the series, but without a description of the photo. After spending some time on Google Maps and switching between the map and satellite formations, I've retraced my walk along River Street that summer 1985. Details regarding that walk and perhaps a map are to come. For now, I have identified where I was standing when I took this picture.

I believe I was standing on the railroad bridge at the east end of Water St., south of River St., facing south east. I've posted a map and satellite view. The square is where I was standing and the triangle is my field of vision.

I don't recommend going on that bridge. Don't even think about it. This was 1985 and I had to think twice about it then. But I was very young and very stupid.

I think I had an Andy Hardy (Antoine Hardeau?) view of Woonsocket. Actually, my romantic view of my mother's youth might have been more like IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. The truth might have been more PEYTON PLACE, but I'll never know. Did Andy Hardy ever fall off a bridge?

mapsatellite

Woonsocket, Rhode Island - wiki

Blackstone River - wiki

No comments: