Saturday, January 5, 2008

Supply Sergeant - Hollywood Blvd.

Supply Sergeant - Hollywood Blvd.Supply Sergeant - Hollywood Blvd.

In the summer of 1980, I was doing a play at an equity-waiver theatre down the block. The director told me I needed black dress shoes for my character. Fresh out of undergraduate school, I was living in tennis shoes. I looked up and down the boulevard. The Broadway Department Store still existed, but I didn't find anything I could put on my Broadway card. I looked in all of the men's shops, but nothing looked like shoes my character would wear. As kind of a "man of the people" lawyer, I wanted conservative and comfortable shoes. I found them in the Supply Sergeant. I found the blessings of Navy Dress Shoes. Not the ultra shiny style, but the rank and file sailor black dress shoes. They were made in the USA. They were comfortable as hell. And they were only $10. They worked out quite well and for years afterwards I bought several pairs. My wife has tried to buy me other shoes. The only thing I prefer are soft black shoes with velcro snaps. But when I dress up, I wear Navy Black Oxfords. I even wore them with a vintage tuxedo on my wedding day. I have the pictures to prove it.

No comments: