Saturday, October 6, 2007

Woonsocket Trip 1985 - Jeanette, Doralice, Florence

Jeanette, Doralice, FlorenceIn the summer of 1985, I accompanied my parents to visit my mother's home town and my birthplace. We would be visiting with all the surviving members of the Parenteau family as well as my Godmother who was my mother's best friend from childhood on. Located in the north eastern part of the state of Rhode Island, Woonsocket is one of those beautiful New England mill towns we read about in literature and history.

In this photograph, three of the four Parenteau sisters are posed with beers in hand. From the left to right, Jeanette LaLiberte, Doralice Aldrich, and Florence Lennox. We are visiting Jeanette's son's lakeside home in northwestern RI. The place was a dream, easily comparable to the best homes I've seen in Malibu or Arrowhead. Those French-Canadians love to drink beer. My mother said their father used to make his own beer, using the family bathtub. I wish I had a picture of that.

No comments: